A healthy body begins in the gut. This we’ve known for decades, but recent studies have shown that having a healthy gut is more than a notion. Many chronic metabolic diseases begin in the gut including fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, depression, multiple sclerosis, allergies, chronic fatigue syndrome, and diabetes.
How Gut Health Works
Trillions of bacteria call your gut home, existing in different states of acidity and alkalinity at any given time. Keeping the gut balanced, not too acidic or too alkaline, is vital to having a healthy gut home. Protecting the body from infection, supporting metabolism and promoting healthy digestion and elimination; a healthy gut eliminates harmful pathogens and absorbs the minerals, vitamins and antioxidants the body needs to flourish.
Is Your Gut Healthy?
Poor gut health results from a variety of reasons including poor diet, overuse of antibiotics, chronic stress, and environmental toxins such as pesticides, herbicides and BPA (found in water bottles and canned food linings).
Is your gut balanced? If you experience any of the following, then your gut may need some attention:
• Acid reflux, burping, flatulence, bloating, digestive pain, or diarrhea
• Constipation (less than one bowel movement in a day or painful bowel movements)
• Mucus, undigested food, or blood in your stool
• Anxiety, depression, allergies, asthma, autoimmune diseases, fatigue, frequent illness, headaches, trouble sleeping or skin conditions
You Are What You Eat, a Healthy Gut Begins with Diet
Add these foods to your diet to improve your gut health:
• Fiber (pears, strawberries, avocados, apples, bananas, artichokes, oats, beans, and chia seeds)
• Fermented foods (sauerkraut, tempeh, kimchi, miso, kefir and kombucha)
• Integrate prebiotic and probiotic supplements into your daily regimen
Pay close attention to your diet and your stress levels to nurture your gut, especially during this flu-season. Get started now by detoxing your gut for a clear, focused mind and radiant skin, allowing you to perform at optimal levels.